08 July 2007

Salsa and Bagpipes

In the Over-The-Rhine neighborhood in Cincinnati, they close down a 4-block stretch of Main Street every second Sunday of the month for what amounts to a big block party. All of the small shops and galleries in the 'hood put up tables and tents, local eateries sell hot dogs, cookies, and beer, the SPCA taunts people with adorable animals for adoption, and several musical acts play.

Being that the epicenter of this street party is 2 blocks away from my bedroom, I always try to wander down there to catch some of the action, if only for a bit. Today was bittersweet because it was my last Second Sunday before I leave town to move to California for grad school. However, it was a really special day, because I got to see two of my favorite types of live musical acts: a salsa band and bagpipers.

Yes, that's right, a salsa band played down the street from me in the glaring summer sun, and soon after that, the bagpipers marched out. The pipers actually started to practice in the alley behind the salsa band before the band was finished, which yielded some very dissonant sounds, but it gave me my favorite picture in weeks....


I love me some bagpipes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pic WK! ...and the kilts are hot! :)

Katze

Steven said...

love the blog so far. does this mean that, when you come through louisville, we should have brunch instead of lunch? i've got a couple of places in mind already!

Donna said...

Yes, a man in a kilt.....ahhhh....

Steven, take her to that crazy New Orleans-sorta place where you took me, with all the beads and crazy stuff hanging from the ceiling!