27 August 2007

First Day of School!

It is a surreal experience returning to school after a 5-year absence. If you think about it, you spend the majority of your life to a certain point in an educational environment.....so when I graduated from college, I remember the transition to the world of working full-time being particularly tough. But coming back to school feels very natural....as if I left a few months ago, and I've just returned from a long summer break.

Particularly for me, tonight was a small triumph. It took me a long time to realize how much I loved learning, and by the time I appreciated this fact about myself, I was finishing my senior thesis. I began to tell friends in lower grade levels, half-joking, to "do anything necessary to stay in school as long as possible - fail thesis if you have to". This, of course, was humorous considering that failing a class was never an option in my game plan. But by the time I knew I didn't want to leave, I had to, and I've missed school ever since.

So, tonight was the first class of my first higher education course in 5 years, and I have a feeling that it will be my favorite class this semester. The course is loosely titled Materials and Methods; we will be studying all manner of building materials, their properties, and how they react in various design situations. Projects include two 18"x18"x18" "cubes", constructed with materials of our choosing, and a large case study of a building of our choosing. My brain is already churning with ideas and my hands are itching to start using power tools again....fortunately, this course will open the doors to both!

2 comments:

erin said...

and what sort of blocks are you thinking of making?

concrete might not be so easy to transport on the bike.

myriam said...

how about layers of carbon fiber, laminated together? it will be a monocoque--distributing equal stress in all directions. I always loved that about carbon fiber... it's fascinating to work with, and has some intriguing ramifications. Too expensive to put into practice in the large-scale, unfortunately. (But used in formula 1 racecars and in some airplanes!)