19 August 2007

Hoover Dam - 9 August 2007

Hoover Dam is very possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen.

I mean, I don't know. It's a tough call. I've been to Paris and seen the Eiffel Tower...I've been to Barcelona and scaled Sagrada Familia, which I still regard as one of my favorite buildings in the world...but this Dam was pretty incredible. I think it may have stunned me because here was this naturally gorgeous canyon and human beings came into it and actually built something in it, something huge, and something very functional and beautiful. It helps that these designers were building it during the Art Deco period of the 1920's and 30's, a period of time in which buildings like the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building were erected (perhaps you've heard of them???). It just made me think that when human beings work together, they are capable of creating objects or built environments which inspire awe in many generations to come. I wish for our generation that we could work together to create something that magnificent....





Upon leaving the dam, the most logical way out to California at this point was through Las Vegas. We gave Vegas its 15 minutes.....

No comments: