14 August 2007

Little Rock, AR - 6 August 2007

I've visited Arkansas before for work, but they were two trips to areas that I don't care to revisit, and I had never made it to Little Rock. Laura and I were both itching to see the Clinton Presidential Library, for a couple of reasons: A) we fall into the category of people that reminisce fondly about Bill Clinton's eight years in office and B) it seemed like a pretty cool building.

As it turned out, it was a cool building. For those of you who were around when I was working on my thesis in architecture, it reminds me a lot of the building I designed, except that mine was a full bridge that spanned a river. In fact, if I had to pick any building in the country to have designed (even though I really hadn't), I would probably pick this one. I just like it.

Clinton Library:


My senior thesis:


We checked out the rest of Little Rock and were pleased to find that they are trying to revitalize their downtown area, starting with the streets that lead up to the Library right next to the river. They even have a light rail system! Which is more than you can say for many larger cities.

All in all, it was a nice visit, if brief.....we were glad to get back in the truck though as the heat on that day was stifling at about 100 degrees plus humidity. Good thing we were listening to Al Gore in the truck talking about "the assault on reason" and global warming.....

3 comments:

Antonio said...

Did you acually go IN the building, you silly archinerd? Or did you only go outside it? :)

I have been dying to make that trip, but I want to go IN the library and I'd love to know if it's worth it.

A

emKem said...

We did go IN, but we did not go THROUGH the library. It was about 100 degrees that day and we had the cat with us....pets weren't allowed inside the library, and we didn't want to leave her in the truck for that long. We thought about protesting in the name of Socks the Cat but we decided not to.

They said there is a full-scale mock-up of the Oval Office in there....gifts given to Clinton and what not. I'd like to see it all eventually myself....

liz said...

i am hijacking emily's blog for a SUPER SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

i have restarted my food blog in honor of emily's departure and i am now carrying on the cincinnati brunch torch: http://getinmahbelly.blogspot.com/