21 October 2007

Nature called....she's not happy

Last week, an e-friend of mine published an ode to Los Angeles that really captured the essence of this city in a way that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I've sent it to many people at this point but I thought it was worth another mention.

Meanwhile, it's another beautiful evening in Southern California, just a stone's throw away from out-of-control wildfires. The picture below is the view from my roof. On the right, downtown's tallest buildings. On the left are what I can only assume are plumes of smoke, drifting out to sea from Malibu Canyon in the north, where the fire started. What never ceases to amaze me in this City of Angels is how close everyone constantly is from either total success or complete disaster. A wildfire in Malibu Canyon means a confluence of both.....people who have achieved great wealth faced with the loss of all they own. It's a remarkable place.

No comments: