06 December 2007

"Analyze This" :: Materials + Methods :: Project #1

In the first of three installments intended primarily to show that I have, in fact, been in grad school the past four months, and I'm not just pretending to be busy all the time, I will now present to you the first term project that was due for me at the end of this Fall semester. This is the "analysis of a building" for my Materials + Methods class, which I touched on briefly in a previous post. The building that I chose to analyze is the Science Center School, which was designed by Morphosis, and which happens to be right across the street from my own school. I chose the building because of its integration of landscaping as a material and because it was designed by Morphosis, of whom I am a big fan. The fact that it's within walking distance didn't hurt either since I am vehicularly-challenged.

I really enjoyed this project. Analyzing a building is certainly not new territory to me, but I've never quite taken it to this level before, where I interviewed the project architect and took a tour and built a bay model. The tour was especially fun since I got to frolic in the building's giant indoor bamboo garden, and get some perspectives that most people probably never take the time to seek out:







The presentation (below) incorporated 72 diagrams that I did comparing different aspects of the building, and included data, descriptions, and photos that I took. I was pleased with the way it turned out. And, believe it or not, I was happy to do the bay model (bottom). I was supposed to have done a bay model for my undergrad senior thesis but I never got a chance to, due to extenuating circumstances. So you could say this bay model has been 6 years in the making!





All in all, it was an interesting class that I could probably take over and over again and learn something new each time. In my next installment, I'll talk about lessons learned....the hard way :o/

No comments: