24 March 2008

Spring has arrived in Los Angeles...

...which is my explanation for the urban mayhem that took place in LA this past weekend. Here, a roundup:

1) (Im)mobile Clubbing: An event that was originally slated for the Hollywood and Highland Metro Station, Mobile Clubbing literally went from underground to exhibitionist when it changed venues to the plaza in front of Graumann's Chinese Theater on Friday, March 21. I sat this one out, but you have to appreciate the entertainment value of a bunch of people bouncing around - virtually silent to onlookers, mind you - to the beat of their own iPod.

2) Filming in Downtown LA: People who have cars complain about this phenomenon a lot, but as a pedestrian I get a big kick out of it, especially when they have to walk me through film shoots that block the sidewalks. There was a LOT of filming this past weekend, including a helicopter shoot which actually made me think an escaped convict was on my roof on Friday night, and whatever they were filming on 4th Street, which I am VERY sorry I missed.....

3)....which leads me to this item, the 4th Street Slip 'N Slide: OMG. How could I have missed this!?! They had a giant inflatable gorilla, for god's sakes.


4) The reason I missed the Slip N' Slide was because I was too focused on getting to the Pillow Fight in Pershing Square. International Pillow Fight Day was actually celebrated in 30 cities simultaneously, with the one in Manhattan's Union Square taking the size prize. Here's the "official" global Web site, more photos can be seen here, and this link has a great video from the LA fight. Below is one of the short videos I took of the event, about 5 minutes before the cops drove onto the square and got on the loud speakers to say "great job, thanks for coming, it's time to leave now". It was definitely fun while it lasted!

video

2 comments:

Laura said...

OMG!!!! That's what was going on with the helicopter? Oh and that slip n' slide thing, it's on a commercial now and the craziest thing... even I knew where it was filmed. CRAZY!!!!

Quizshow said...

I need to move...Houston sucks.