27 June 2008

Anybody want to bet me?

Scientists at the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colorado think that there is a 50/50 chance that there will be no polar ice at the geographic North Pole at the end of the summer. Apparently they have an informal betting pool going. I am not one to miss an opportunity so I am wondering if anyone wants to bet me. The bet is $5 plus a canvas grocery bag. Winner wins grocery money and bags to take it home in.

So, I am betting that the ice will completely melt away by the end of the summer. If anyone wants to bet that there will be ice at the North Pole by September 21, then you count as a NO bet. If there are multiple NO bets, and you win, you'll split the pot (and the canvas grocery bags). If you want to bet that YES, the ice will melt away by the end of the summer, then please bet YES plus a date. That way, whoever bets closest will win, and we'll have just one winner. IF it melts, of course.

Please register your bets in the comments below. Here I'll go first:

Me: YES, August 25

Anybody else?