15 June 2008

Unimaginable loss.


In memoriam, Tim Russert, 1950-2008.



image courtesy of msnbc.com

It's difficult to describe the sense of loss that we feel when someone who lives their lives in the public eye passes away suddenly. I never knew people like John F. Kennedy, Jr., David Bloom or Heath Ledger, but it's hard not to feel sadness, as if this person had the potential to change the world, and their lives were senselessly cut short. Multiply those previous events by about 10 and that's how I'm feeling after the sudden death of Tim Russert. It's just so sudden, and so unfathomable, and it leaves such a massive void.....whether you liked his tone or not, it's hard to deny that his influence on the current and potential leaders of our country was enormous, and he was always tough, and always fair. It's even harder to handle when you hear the stories of how good a father, boss, and person he was. People who are extremely good at what they do are hard to come by; people who do it with a smile, and with such enthusiasm, and with such love for the people around them are just plain rare. And beyond all of that, I mean, he was just here.....like, just a few days ago, we saw him on MSNBC.....and then he had a heart attack, and he was gone. Tim was such a good person and so good at his job, NBC will have a very hard time filling his shoes - he is truly irreplaceable.

That said, please everyone try to lose those extra pounds, and get your cholesterol checked! Stay healthy, be a good person, and live every day like it's your last. Life is too short to let it pass you by.

3 comments:

nambypambics said...

This blog has, er, a rather different take on the last line of yours: http://fatfu.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/tim-russert-and-why-im-done-with-daily-kos-forever/
It's pretty funny, and I understand the desire to rant, but a it's less-than-ideal piece because positing people as guilty/evil is not the best way to get them to listen to your argument. Anyway...

I do think it's cruel to use a person's death to admonish the living about their weight, and thereby shaming the dead. Besides, it's dangerous to associate high-risk cholesterol levels only with being of a large body size. Thin, even underweight-thin people can have dangerously high cholesterol for many reasons, too. But because a dangerous cholesterol level is (erroneously) associated almost exclusively with being fat, it's easy to forget about cholesterol or assume you're okay if you aren't fat. Heart attacks occur for many reasons... I had one when I weighed eighty-five pounds.

emKem said...

I think that my comment above was more out of genuine shock and concern at what could have caused a seemingly healthy man to just drop dead, especially since at the time, we weren't sure what did cause him to collapse. I never even thought of Tim Russert as overweight or even fat....sure, when you looked at him, his face was a little round, but that's just the way he was. Now that we know what caused his death - that it was a cholesterol plaque that dislodged and blocked a coronary artery - I think I'm even MORE worried, because that is just not something that you can predict. You are totally right: high cholesterol and excess body fat are not directly linked. Tim Russert, in a way, provides a good lesson for this, in retrospect; we now know, from his doctor's interview, that he was actually a model patient, passed stress tests, and worked out on the treadmill every day.

I think it's whole unpredictability of an occurrence like this that causes me to want to say "I need to take care of myself better! You take care of yourself better!" in the hopes that actually maintaining control of my own health might give me a better chance at life.

PS. Telling me that you had a heart attack at 85 pounds doesn't make me worry any less! I wonder if worry is a contributor to bad health....

emKem said...

PS. I think it's important to take anything that DailyKos says with a grain of salt. Much like the guy on Slate.com who's complaining at the media coverage of his death....it's like come on. Show some respect.