21 July 2008

Los Angeles and the Art of the Picnic

Time for another installment of random observations on Los Angeles culture. For a city with a near-perfect climate year-round, you can tell when summer actually arrives by the amount of events that start popping up which are picnic-friendly. Cinespia is the name of the weekend classic movie screenings in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Every Thursday night, there are concerts on the pier and beach in Santa Monica. Hollywood Bowl is the picturesque venue for concerts set in the hills just north of the Walk of Fame. All of these are staples of LA's summer calendar, and at each one of these events, a picnic is not only encouraged, it's desirable. And when I say picnic, I don't mean peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and grape juice.....I mean, a spread. I mean, brie, prosciutto, olives, and Italian red wine. I mean strawberries, potato salad, cupcakes, and beer. And did I mention red wine? I've attended a show at each one of these locations in the past few weeks, and each picnic got progressively more and more elaborate. That said, there is nothing quite like enjoying a glass of cabernet and some hummus and pita with 3000 of your closest friends. Below, the scene at each.

The view at Cinespia


Picnic at the Hollywood Bowl


Did you think I was kidding?


The Bowl in all its glory

No comments: