29 September 2008

Things that keep me up at night.

The following issues don't REALLY keep me up at night...but they are good motivators.

So, in case you missed it, our greenhouse gas emissions are actually accelerating. This is surprising - and ultimately quite scary - because a lot of people thought that the economic downturn would result in less energy consumption. Nope! We are barreling toward the point of no return even faster now! And more than half of carbon emissions are now from developing countries ... which will be even harder to slow down.

If you want to see proof of climate change, watch this time-lapsed video of Alaska's northern coast eroding. Also, we already passed Earth Overshoot Day...I would try to explain it myself, but just visit the link.

So the world is facing a big crisis. In the meantime, one of our presidential candidates nominated a VP so grossly underqualified, and so wildly embarrassing that I can't stand to watch this interview myself...it's like watching a Ben Stiller movie. It makes me cringe. It reminds me of the time Bush tried to dance with that tribe in Africa. Jeez.

Oh and there's that whole "the sky is falling credit crisis" thing. We're damned if we do pass the $700 billion bailout package, and we are ROYALLY SCREWED if we don't. So I guess we'll pass it then, huh?

All I can say is, I hope the rest of the country comes to the same conclusion as this small paper, who is endorsing the Democratic candidate for president for the first time in 72 years. Because if things go the other way November 4th, I forsee many sleepless nights ahead.

No comments: