12 October 2008

Back from hiatus

In my last post I talked about things that keep me up at night. It turns out that wasn't even the tip of the iceberg. Today I'm going to talk about things that keep me away from blogging, or, "where I've been the last two weeks."

So, I had this birthday. It was a milestone as far as birthdays go - 30. I've been waiting for it for a few months, most of my friends are older than me so I was prepared. They tell me that I am now allowed to do whatever I want and my excuse will simply be "because I'm 30." I am fine with this.

I am able to forgive those of my best friends who forgot my birthday because they were probably too busy watching the stock market tumble off a cliff. A year ago on my birthday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average hit an all-time high - over 14,100. Two days ago it was below 8600. That's a loss of 40% of its value. I believe that they said this translated to a cash loss of trillions of dollars.

And as far as the market goes, I'm sure we all took a hit somehow. The same day it closed below 8600 I received a piece of paper from the financial firm that manages my 401k. Thinking it was my new statement, I opened it, and expected to see losses. What I didn't expect was a bunch of negative numbers and a zero balance. Turns out that my account was transferred to a different company (they forgot to tell me about this) and this terrifying piece of paper was simply a reflection of the money being transferred. My 401k is still there! Smaller, but still there. Thank goodness.

Meanwhile at home, my cat has been sick. Sorry, this is probably a totally bizarre thing to discuss in the midst of a financial crisis, but coming home every day to the question of "did she or didn't she pee on my bed" will have an effect on how you live your life. It wouldn't have been so bad but she lost a lot of weight and that was a little scary. In fact, like the stock market, my cat lost 40% of her value. She went from 10 pounds to 6! I think she is now on the road to recovery. Jury is still out on the "pee" question though.



So the cat has me worried, the state of our economy and our future in the world as a result has me worried, and oh by the way, a generation-defining election is in its last rounds right now. Has anyone been watching the debates? Of course you have. My mind was made up so long ago that they have done nothing for me but I am amazed to see that people are still deciding and that these debates have an effect. I am also glad to see that many people are starting to come around to what I said when she first appeared on our TVs six weeks ago....



Last but not least, I participated in an exhibition on Friday with an idea that I have been working on that is tangential to my thesis work. I blogged about this on Archinect so I won't repeat myself but I will point you to that post. It was a beautiful day and I got a lot of great feedback, and who knows, I may be turning it into something sometime soon.

ANYWAY ... I'm still here in Southern California, just trying to get through the year. Drop me a line when you get a chance. Cheers.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Happy birthday, Emily! I think you should celebrate all year! Kim Conradi