29 December 2008

Seat Warmer

Since I've returned home to Cincinnati for Winter Break this year, there have been a few themes:
  1. Getting to see everyone that I don't normally have the money to see the rest of the year.
  2. Actually getting work done! Achieving pre-determined goals = awesome.
  3. Catching up on movies I wanted to see, and movies I didn't know I wanted to see, and movies I never wanted to see....
That last category is really a great time-waster. Since arriving, I've managed to see...
  1. The Incredible Hulk: Good. But I'll watch anything with Edward Norton.
  2. Burn After Reading. Do NOT believe the ads! This was not great, it wasn't even funny.
  3. The Spirit: Terrible, but Gabriel Macht is sweet and full of potential.
  4. Slumdog Millionaire: Great, but perhaps not as super-great as the ads say it is.
  5. Shutter: Not as bad as the 7% it got on Rotten Tomatoes but borderline laughable.
  6. The House Bunny: Awful. Just awful. This one was against my will.
  7. Marley & Me: Very cute, with a wonderful story, but if you are prone to crying, you should bring a whole box of tissues. Seriously.
There are still movies that I want to see, and a whole bunch that I missed this year that I'm still trying to catch up on, so if there's any on video that you want to recommend, let me know. This list includes:
  1. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It's supposed to be good, right?
  2. Valkyrie. I'm hoping to see this without paying for it so I guess I'll have to wait.
  3. Australia. I'm a fan of Baz Luhrman.
  4. Milk. Yep.
  5. Quantum of Solace. Argh! How did I miss this?
  6. Tropic Thunder. Was it really funny? Not Burn After Reading, faux-funny?
  7. Hancock. I know, I know, I'm way behind...
I can recommend a few myself....if you have not seen these, in my humble, movie-fan opinion, go...
  1. The Dark Knight. Duh.
  2. Ironman. This was such fun.
  3. I Am Legend, from last December. I know some people didn't like this but I thought it was totally amazing; maybe it has to do with the portrayal of the intersection of Manhattan and nature. Also it both scared the crap out of me and was compelling enough to see a second time in the theater. The only other movie I've ever done that for was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and, well, Strictly Ballroom. But I digress.
  4. The Departed. Ok, so I know this is old but I just watched it a couple of months ago and it was great! I was so surprised. Especially since I don't normally like gangster movies and I really dislike Jack Nicholson. But this was great.
And then there are the movies that have yet to come out that I want to see, namely, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Why won't they just release this already!?

Anyway, that's how I'm spending my time here. I'm trying to enjoy it because I'm fairly certain I won't have any days off in 2009...

2 comments:

namhenderson said...

I watched Burn after Reading with my pops. We both thought it was quite funny. Definitely one of Brad Pitts best caricatures in years..
As for Quantum of Solace, just say this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it..
Heard some complaints it wasn't as good as the first Daniel Craig Bond but and while the evil plot was a bit zany i thought overall they continued to develop the character of the new Bond..
And while the Departed is old. I loved it. I thought Baldwin was hilarious and both Damon and Nicholson were excellent.

myriam said...

I, too, liked Burn After Reading -- but I can easily see how certain of its features (its length, its pointlessness, its despair and the utter unredeemableness of its characters) would have turned into faults if I hadn't been in the perfect sort of mood to watch it. (If that makes sense.) This is actually mainly what I like about the Coen bros work--they can tend to keep you on the edge of not knowing whether you love a thing or hate it.

I loved, loved the Departed. It's what I would call a totally great flick. (Have you seen "Once Upon A Time In Mexico"? The director's splash screen intro to the movie gives the title, and then puts up the sub-title "A Flick". I thought this was the perfect way to refer to that movie, and others of its kind which are thoroughly entertaining without necessarily being film art.)