17 January 2009

Participate!

I am a serial participater when it comes to anything civic or social or, well, basically anything. I'm a doer. So when I heard about this opportunity to interact with our new President, I knew I needed to talk about it.

Called the Citizen's Briefing Book, it's a way for you, me, and everyone to suggest our ideas to President Obama. Basically you log into the page on Change.gov, you suggest an idea, and then people vote on it. The highest rated ideas will be compiled into a book that is presented to Obama after he is sworn in, and then on a regular basis thereafter.

I am already plotting what my first idea will be: something related to my thesis, perhaps, or another idea about the environment? I will figure something out. In the meantime, I encourage everyone to give it your best shot, and actually participate in your government for once. With any luck (and barring the devolution of this exercise into a popularity contest), this will become a real and extremely useful tool in the new administration.

So go ahead and participate!

No comments: