26 April 2009

Random Los Angeles

I'm catching up on all of my photo uploads and I've seen some interesting things while out and about lately. Most of them I captured with my iPhone. Here are some highlights from the past several weeks.


This is not a subway station. OK, well it is, but it's fake. It was planted down the street from me a couple of weeks ago for filming of a pilot for a TV show. On the other side, where the entrance would be, was just sidewalk. (Is this even a real subway stop? Can anyone from New York verify?)


This is the interior atrium of the Central Library in Downtown LA. It's a lovely building and it sits directly across from the US Bank Tower, aka, the tallest building west of the Mississippi. Apparently someone tried to commit suicide by jumping from the top level this past week. Luckily it was a few days after I had been there.


This is the new School of Cinematic Arts building at USC. It's ugly. In my humble opinion, anyway.


This is "S'mores Cake" from the excellent Nickel Diner, right behind my apartment building. It is utterly delicious. The blue light is a blowtorch, which they use to "toast" the cake ... the result is a wafting smell of S'mores throughout the diner!


Speaking of fire, there was a controlled fire on campus at USC the other day. Totally random! I found out later that it was a physics professor who was demonstrating some principles of heat transfer by firewalking. Cool! I want to take that class!


Speaking of heat transfer, yesterday my classmates and I went on a field trip to a solar farm way out in the high desert. There we saw fields holding 770 sun-tracking solar panels that produce a total of 1.9 megawatts of electricity per year. They supplement the electricity needs of a place called Bolthouse Farms where they help to grow carrots. Super cool!


Speaking of field trips, today I went with some friends to the Los Angeles Pet Memorial Park. We went on a quest for a friend's birthday to find Blinky the Friendly Hen, and also got to see the gravesite of the MGM lion, as well as a number of other interesting pets, including this family of "Mitzis". We found it amusing that Ed and Bill had a succession of Mitzis but strange that they, from 1970 to 1982, had concurrent Mitzis. That must have been confusing for Mitzi(s).

So there you have it. Random, right? That's Los Angeles...

1 comment:

liz said...

there is a subway stop there for those trains but there is no paige academy of design (that i have ever heard of anyway).

mitzis = hilarious!