10 June 2009

Making lemons out of lemonade

If anyone is keeping track, I recently graduated from USC, and, having reached the end of my term as a "student worker", I am unemployed and looking for a job. I have been applying for jobs since February, and I've had a few interviews, but no luck so far. Yesterday I heard from the HR person at the last place I interviewed, in Denver, and while they were really impressed with me, they decided to "redefine" the position to be geared towards someone with a Physics background, which essentially eliminated me from the running. I like Physics! But my degrees have to do with buildings. Alas, I won't be moving to Denver just yet. :o/ They were so pleased with me, however, that they asked for my resume to pass it on to other firms they know of that had openings. Which is nice.

In the meantime, I am keeping busy. I'm cleaning out my apartment, giving away and selling things that I don't need anymore, and generally purging. I'm still applying for jobs, and I've gotten all my loans deferred due to unemployment. I also have some Architectural Registration Exam study materials on the way, so I can start studying for my exams in my downtime.

I've also been keeping an eye on the market in the building industry in general, and it's really terrible out there. I've got several friends who have just been laid off, so I know I'm lucky that I even got interviews. In the vast amount of free time that I now have, I've started an initiative on my Web site where I'm offering free Web hosting to my unemployed friends for their online portfolios.

And, because my summer is really open right now, I am flirting with the idea of getting a used RV and driving around the country. I've always really liked this idea, as it would allow me to see the whole country and get to the 8 states I haven't seen yet. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about being homeless in a month, since, well, I'd have the RV. Anyway, please use the comments section below to tell me why this is a bad idea. Otherwise I'm going to keep thinking about it...

5 comments:

gretchen said...

RV Cost:
- Initial cost
- Taxes & fees
- RV insurance (if you are fulltiming, you are not just insuring a vehicle, you are insuring your home and personal belongings)
- Maintenance costs (tires and engine parts cost more than cars)
- Gas (they average 9-11 MPG)
- Parking costs (you can park in most Wal*Mart parking lots, but public streets have a "72 hour" rule if you're even allowed to park there at all)

Also, an RV is a depreciating asset. You might be better off getting a used truck with a canopy and using truck stops?

Faith said...

ditto everything Gretchen said....

marlin watson said...

...we can hitchhike those final 8 states together and turn it into an arch travels side series...i could use a low cost vacation right about now.

ahh, the beauty of dreaming...

liz said...

i think you should do this and i wish i could go with you!

birdman said...

There are some sad realities here, as Gretchen mentioned. So having said all that she said, I would add that dont let those things hinder your goal of doing this, esp since you dont have things that are keeping you down here in Los Angeles. Of course, as long as you have some monies to be able to do this with....

And so...enjoy!