21 August 2009

An Open Letter to Those Who Oppose Health Care Reform

To those of you who compare Americans of any stripe to Nazis, or compare bills in Congress to that of policies enacted under Hitler in fascist Germany, I give you Barney Frank, and beyond that I'm not wasting any more of my time on you.



To those of you who somehow think that health care is not a "right" that should be offered, nay, mandated, for all Americans, can you please tell me why it's the law that we have to have our cars insured, but not our own bodies?

To those of you who actually believe in "death panels"... are you kidding me?!? What part of "living will" and "end of life planning" translates into "euthanizing grandma", exactly? My bad, the concepts of living wills and end of life planning are probably too complex for you to manage, so hopefully someone will come out with an illustrated version of the bill soon...

To those of you who think that we don't deserve nationwide single-payer healthcare, OK, fine. I don't suppose you think that we should make police officers or soldiers pay for their healthcare, and neither do I. But how about the roughly 2 1/2 million people incarcerated in United States prisons? Should we make them pay for healthcare? As Andy Borowitz puts it:

"So the Lockerbie bomber, Abdel Baset al Megrahi, was sprung from prison so that he could receive medical attention in his native Libya, where he was given a hero's welcome today.

Let's leave aside the hero's welcome part for a moment - there are 47 million uninsured Americans who'd love to get the medical attention part.

So what do you have to do to get health care in 2009 - become an international terrorist? No, actually, every prisoner in US prisons gets it.

Excuse me, I've got to go rob a liquor store."
Mind boggling. Simply mind-boggling. We need health care reform, period. Can you crazies please let the adults handle it this time?