07 February 2010

Being gainfully employed is rather boring, no?

I was just reading some of my old posts from when I was unemployed - and just doing whatever the heck I wanted - last summer. Before that, I was in graduate school, and that was kind of interesting, I mean, enough so that I felt the need to start a whole other blog to talk to a new audience about it. But now?

Now, when people ask me how I'm doing, it goes like this:

Other Person: "So, how are things? What are you up to?"

Me: "I'm really busy at work! Other than that, not much"

... and that's pretty much the end of the conversation. No more fun stories about how I spent my day differently than the day before, because no two days are alike when you don't have someplace to go.

Yes friends, I'm gainfully employed and I'm boring.

Which is not to say that I don't love what I'm doing - I totally do, and I'm so happy with my job. It's just that all of the interesting stuff gets funneled into either my other blog or my work, and that's fine too.

A more interesting conversation, I have to say, starts when someone asks me what I actually do. My response is a jumbled mess that starts off with explaining how I am a "trained architect" without a license ("architect with a little 'a'") but I am now practicing the fine art of "building science" with an energy efficiency company. The inevitable "what's building science?" question comes next, and then I usually have to mention my Master's Degree, and I hate sounding like that. This conversation happened earlier today with a guy I had never met before and he paused and wryly said, "so you're impressive, then?" ... and I don't know if I blushed, but I said thanks and kept drinking my beer.

So, it's February and I've just realized how few posts I've been making since I got a job, and I've decided to make an effort to be more interesting. I mean, I'll do the best I can, which means I might go from 3 posts a month to 4, but at least that's one a week. And they will be interesting! Starting with now...

~~~~~

One of my goals this year is to become an adept enough knitter that I can do scarves and hats. Scarves are pretty much as easy as it gets... you knit on straight needles, back and forth, until you get a long knitted thing. Hats require more effort, but they are fun because they can happen on round needles. The tricky part comes when you have to switch to double pointed, and it gets a little ridiculous for an hour or however long it takes to finish the hat, but the result is worth it.

This is my first ever knitted hat ... I completed it recently for a birthday gift for a friend. Not bad for a starter hat, but I had some trouble at the end, so I switched to a crochet hook and just kind of took care of it.


Apologies for the poor photo quality, I've recently become a little too attached to the camera on my iPhone.


I plan to keep knitting until making a hat is like second nature, and then later, if I'm feeling REALLY crazy, I might try ... gloves! The final frontier is sweaters, which are just ridiculous.

Maybe this year I will even make it to crocheting! Whoa, I know, that's a little much but it's good to have goals, LOL.

1 comment:

namhenderson said...

Ha so true. Re: regular life/work being not as blog worthy. At least not for me. I always look back on my years in school for both degrees as more interesting, at least in terms of traveling, odder schedules, spontaneous events etc.